shim

Fire at Ratcliffe's!

On 21st December 2006, part of our business was damaged by fire. Felt manufacturers have to be on constant guard with regard to fire risk, the fibres from the manufacturing process settle on any ledge or pipe. This time a light overheated and set fire to a storage bin. As soon as the fire was spotted, the fire alarm was raised and personnel evacuated. As many as seven sprinkler heads were activated and the local fire brigade were on hand within a matter of minutes. The fire was quickly brought under control and extinguished. However, about 2 tonnes of wool and jute were soaked by the water, making nearer 5 tonnes of sodden fibre to clear up. Fortunately no machinery was damaged, nor any stock. One machine could not run for two days prior to Christmas and one day after New Year due to repairs to the fibre bin being necessary. The picture shows the open doorway to the storage bin. The blue box contains wet material.




 


 

 

shim